Last Updated: August 21, 2023
Main Contact: Bay Area Community Land Trust
Contact Phone: (510) 545-3258
Be aware that most listings for affordable housing have waiting lists. We encourage you to apply to as many as possible so we hope you will check the website once a month for new listings. To obtain an application contact the property manager or go to the property management office.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Bay Area Community Land Trust (BACLT) is delighted to announce the availability of TWO bedrooms available at Newton House Collective near Lake Merritt in Oakland. There are 9 bedrooms, 2 kitchens, 3 ½ bathrooms, and 2 large common spaces, spread across three floors. There is also a large yard with planter boxes for gardening and a shed.
1. Attend a BACLT Virtual Orientation Session via Zoom to learn more about the community land trust model and specifics about Newton House.
All interested applicants must attend a 1-hour Orientation Session before they can receive an application. People needing a special accommodation for
translation, visual or hearing assistance can send a request to: email@example.com. Register for Zoom Orientation:
Thursday 8/24 @ 6pm
Saturday 8/26 @ 11am
Tuesday 8/29 @ 12pm
More info: www.bayareaclt.org/newton-vacancy
Questions? email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 510-545-3258
2. Submit Application: Applications must be submitted to email@example.com or postmarked to BACLT PO Box 2652 Berkeley, CA
94702 before 5:00pm on Friday 09/01/2023.
3. Application Review: Applications will be ranked by preference points and reviewed with the Newton House residents.
4. In-person Meeting at Newton House: Top five applicants will be invited to tour the house, see the vacant rooms and meet Newton House residents. Applicants confirm interest in moving in and identify room preferences.
5. Income Certification: Top five applicants complete their household income
certification with BACLT staff to ensure eligibility.
6. Projected Move-in date: September 15 – October 15, 2023
Any questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.bayareaclt.org for more information.
Minimum Income Requirement 2X the monthly rent as minimum monthly income to qualify. Maximum Income Limit: 1 Person $78,550; 2 People $89,750; Five Rooms are available ranging from $775 to $1,025 per month.based on the size and amenities of each room. Security Deposit $1,500. These rooms are affordable for households earning less than 80% of Area Median Income. Unit includes: 1 Bath, Stove, Refrigerator, Laundry Room Onsite, Street Parking Only.
- Rent includes: PG&E, water/sewer and garbage/recycling.
- Credit Check Required. No Fee for Credit Check.
- Section 8 Welcome.
- All subsidies must be considered by all types of housing except for Section 8 Project-Based properties. https://www.dfeh.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/32/2020/02/SourceofIncomeFAQ_ENG.pdf
- No Cosigners.
- May work with previous evictions on a case by case basis.
- Near Public Transportation, Schools and Shops. Walking distance to Sacramento Street, MLK JR Way, several parks.
- Pets are not allowed. There are two service animals currently in the house.
- There is no smoking inside the house, but people occasionally burn sage and incense or use perfume. There is not a fragrance-free policy in the house.