Last Updated: March 01, 2023
Main Contact: Bay Area Community Land Trust
Contact Phone: (510) 545-3258
Be aware that most listings for affordable housing have waiting lists. We encourage you to apply to as many as possible so we hope you will check the website once a month for new listings. To obtain an application contact the property manager or go to the property management office.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Affordable Housing?
- The listing I am interested in has a waitlist. How long are these waitlists, usually?
- What are immediate affordable housing opportunities in Alameda County (without waiting lists)?
- What is an SRO?
- How do I find a roommate situation?
- What is a sober living home?
- What is Transitional housing?
- What if I find an apartment that’s available next month, but I don’t have a place to stay until then?
- What if I can afford the rent, but I can’t afford the security deposit?
- I have an eviction or bad credit on my record. Are there still housing options for me?
- What if I don’t meet income qualifications?
- I have a disability. Do I have a right to a Reasonable Accommodation?
- What is Section 8? How do I get it?
- What is Public Housing?
- I have fallen behind on my rent. How can I get help?
- What is rent control? Do all cities in Alameda County have it?
- How does the developer decide if I am eligible for affordable housing and what is AMI?
The Bay Area Community Land Trust (BACLT) is delighted to announce the availability of TWO bedrooms available at Newton House Collective near Lake Merritt in Oakland.
This house is a unique historic building built in 1906. There are 9 bedrooms, 2 kitchens, 3 ½ bathrooms, and 2 large common spaces, spread across three floors. There is also a large yard with planter boxes for gardening and a shed. The Bay Area Community Land Trust acquired the property in 2018 with the goal
of forming a resident-controlled housing collective.
1. Attend a Virtual Open House, Saturday 2/18 at 11 AM PST.
RSVP by email: email@example.com
Zoom Link: https://us04web.zoom.us/j/75453718706?pwd=xXmyI4AaZR5SRezp1fZQZLaZqLQi00.1
Meeting ID: 754 5371 8706
2. Attend a virtual Orientation Session, via Zoom (Required): All interested applicants must attend a 1-hour Orientation Session before they can receive an application. People needing a special accommodation for translation, visual or hearing assistance can send a request to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register at www.bayareaclt.org
Zoom Orientation Session: Th 2/16 6pm PST
Zoom Orientation Session: Tue 2/21 6pm PST
3. Applications must be emailed to email@example.com or postmarked to BACLT PO Box 2652 Berkeley, CA 94702 by 5pm on Monday 2/27/23.
Note: Differently abled people are welcome to apply, but please note that none of these rooms are wheelchair accessible. Contact BACLT to discuss adaptability. Any questions?
Minimum Income Requirement 2X the monthly rent as minimum monthly income to qualify. Maximum Income Limit: 1 Person $76,750; 2 People $87,700; Two bedrooms are available at $875 and $975 per month, based on the size and amenities of each room. Security Deposit $1,500. These rooms are affordable for households earning less than 80% of Area Median Income. Unit includes: 1 Bath, Stove, Refrigerator, Laundry Room Onsite, Street Parking Only.
- Rent includes: PG&E, water/sewer and garbage/recycling.
- Credit Check Required. No Fee for Credit Check.
- No Background Check.
- Section 8 Welcome.
- All subsidies must be considered by all types of housing except for Section 8 Project-Based properties. https://www.dfeh.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/32/2020/02/SourceofIncomeFAQ_ENG.pdf
- No Cosigners.
- May work with previous evictions on a case by case basis.
- Near Public Transportation, Schools and Shops. Walking distance to Sacramento Street, MLK JR Way, several parks.
- Pets are not allowed. There are two emotional support animals currently living at the house.
- There is no smoking inside the house, but people occasionally burn sage and incense or use perfume. There is not a fragrance-free policy in the house.