Last Updated: October 09, 2021
Main Contact: Eden Housing
Contact Phone: (510) 499-2491
Be aware that most listings for affordable housing have waiting lists. We encourage you to apply to as many as possible so we hope you will check the website once a month for new listings. To obtain an application contact the property manager or go to the property management office.
Frequently Asked Questions
2 Bedroom 50% AMI - Rent $1,541. Min. Income $3,082.
2 Bedroom 60% AMI - Rent $1,849. Min. Income $3,698.
3 Bedroom 50% AMI - Rent $1,781. Min. Income $3,562.
3 Bedroom 60% AMI - Rent $2,137. Min. Income $4,274.
The Starling is a brand new, 70-unit affordable rental apartment community in Alameda for family households. The Starling is 4 stories, all with elevator access and will include fourteen (14) resident one-bedroom apartments, thirty-six (36) resident two, one (1) live on-site manager two-bedroom apartment and nineteen (19) resident three-bedroom apartments.
Eden Housing is accepting applications for 31 of the 70 apartments and are available via application and lottery. There is a County of Alameda Live/Work Preference for the lottery units and a City of Alameda Live/Work Preference for 9 of the lottery units. ONLINE PRE-APPLICATIONS ARE ONLY AVAILABLE TO BE COMPLETED ONLINE from MONDAY, 10/4/2021 AT 10am through FRIDAY, 10/15/2021 at 4:00 PM. APPLY ONLINE at https://housing.acgov.org/listings and http://www.edenhousing.org
Reasonable Accommodations will be made to assist applicants in completing the pre-application, full rental application & any paperwork needed to apply and/or qualify for housing at The Starling.
Please call 510-499-2491 for online support in applying—Telephone assistance and computer lab appointments available by appointment to assist in successfully submitting a pre-application.
Minimum Income Requirement is 2Xs Amount of Rent for applicants without a Section 8 PBV or Housing Choice Voucher. Eligibility is income-restricted, as are rents, in accordance with the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit program as well as other funding requirements.
Income requirements: These 70 units serve households at 20%, 30%, 50% and 60% of the Area Median Income (AMI). To qualify, applicants cannot exceed the annual gross income limits based on their household size.
See pre-application materials on the website for more detailed information.
Anticipated to be completed by October 2021, barring any construction delays. Units include: Bath, ADA Accessibility, Blinds, Cable Ready, Carpet and Vinyl Flooring, Ceiling Fans in all bedrooms, Dishwasher, Electric Cooktop Stove & Range, Full-Size Refrigerator, In-Sink Garbage Disposal, Trash and Recycle Chutes and Air Conditioning. Amenities: BBQ Grills, Bicycle Storage, Community Center, Community Gardens, Computer Lab, Covered Parking, Gated Parking, Key Fob Security, Laundry Room, Playground, Wi-Fi in Community Spaces, Resident Services with a Dedicated On-Site Office, Parcel Lockers, EV Charging Stations.
- Paid Utilities - Inquire.
- A $35 Non-Refundable Application/Screening fee PER ADULT HOUSEHOLD MEMBER including a LIVE IN CAREGIVER, if applicable. This fee is collected ONLY at time of interview by Money Order or Cashier check made out to The Starling.
- Background Check included in Credit Check.
- Welcomes Section 8 Vouchers.
- All subsidies must be considered by all types of housing except for Section 8 Project-Based properties. https://www.dfeh.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/32/2020/02/SourceofIncomeFAQ_ENG.pdf.
- Inquire regarding Cosigner.
- Previous Evictions - Inquire
- Near Public Transportation, Schools and Shops.
- Pet Allowed in accordance with Eden Housing Management Inc's Pet Policy - Limit One Pet Per Household. Pet Deposit $150.
- Smoke-Free Building.
- One Year Lease Required at initial move-in.